Friday, September 9, 2016

September 9, 2016

For this weeks blog I've decided to touch base on an article I read on ScienceDaily.com, "How Chinese medicine kills cancer cells". I chose this article for one reason, I'm Hispanic, I grew up in Brownsville, which is down by the border, so I have had my fair share of home remedies. Most people I tell about how my grandmother and mother would cure a common cold, or strep throat, takes them by surprise because there isn't much medicine behind it.

I found it rather interesting and satisfying that medical professionals are now starting to investigate and test the effects of home remedies. The China Centre for the Molecular Basis of Traditional Chinese Medicine has begun to run tests and tear apart the components of the medicine at a molecular level to see how these medicines interact. It was stated that individually, they are not very effective, but when combined they are able to interact and that is when they become more useful. They've used what is called a systems biology approach. It's a way of analyzing complex biological systems that attempt to take into account all measurable aspects of the system rather than focusing on a single variable.

To read more about the article go to:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/09/160908084319.htm

Journal Reference:
  1. Zhipeng Qu, Jian Cui, Yuka Harata-Lee, Thazin Nwe Aung, Qianjin Feng, Joy M. Raison, Daniel R. Kortschak, David L. Adelson. Identification of candidate anti-cancer molecular mechanisms of compound kushen injection using functional genomicsOncotarget, 2014; DOI:10.18632/oncotarget.11788 

8 comments:

  1. What types of home remedies are they researching? I assume ones with herbs and such?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the remedies they are going to begin researching are mainly with herbs and oils, all plant based.

      Delete
  2. I love that home remedies are being looked into. I hope further research can be done on essential oils. I'm curious how affective they would be in addition to home remedies. I use to be under the notion that most home remedies and such are mostly psychosomatic benefits. Fingers crossed on better findings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also curious with what kind of home remedies they are researching and how they would interact with cancer cells. Home remedies are definitely an option that aren't necessarily explored in the medical world. I've personally never used home remedies and thought they were just wise tales. It would be really cool if home remedies could start to cure diseases. I could see how plant based home remedies could have an impact on health though

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to know a little more about the systems biology approach. Was it effective? What have they learned so far from it, specifically?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really interesting because I am very skeptical whenever it comes to home remedies. I am Hispanic, too and I grew up with the idea that medication is important. I do not believe in teas nor people massaging an egg through your body to take away the bad vibes. I can see how some of the ingredients of the herbs can aid on the relief of symptoms, but I think it is due to a placebo effect on those people. Plus, most of the natural remedies tend to not work for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see where you are coming from as well, as I've learned more about science and the way systems work and what not I've shied away from home remedies, but I am interested in how this research will turn out.

      Delete